Friday, January 23, 2009

Shut The Front Door!

Okay...this will be cryptic and I am sorry for that. I've always wanted to be the girl who didn't worry about what she wrote because I'm all about transparency (gotta use all these new buzz words, right?) and believe that what is meant to be is meant to be regardless of what I write. However, this is a situation I can't do that with, but I am DYING to at least share and maybe get some perspective on. An opportunity for a healthy 8 month old baby girl came up yesterday. NOT from Kyrgyz, and under VERY rigid circumstances (which we miraculously managed to meet). As stated before, I also just got confirmation of acceptance into the IVF program, being classified as a "Prime Candidate." WHAT THE HECK?

The catch? This baby is in a country that A)is VERY unstable and unsafe for Americans;

B)will require pre-authorization for John (as a member of the military with top secret security clearance) to even THINK about going to--much less staying for the 2-4 weeks that will be required; and

C) has SEVERAL state department warnings that not only advise Americans to NOT travel, but basically say if you are dumb enough to do so, you are doing so on your own because there are VERY limited things the American government can do in case of emergency.

Not encouraging AT all. In truth, I'm scared. But not so scared I wouldn't do it. However, I can't do it alone and if you are married to the military, you are sort of OWNED by the military. And that's just about the deal-breaker.



  1. Oh Lori - I pray so hard for just the right things to come your way. I know that God will lead your heart to whatever the decisions you have to make.

  2. Very interesting! IF you trust your sources that gave you the information and feel the Lord leading you to that child then I say go for it! You can do IVF when you get back. Then you'll really have your hands full!

  3. Lori,

    God will make it abundantly clear to you if you wait on Him. I had the most incredible peace about going to Kyrg and you know how fast we had to move. I was terrified! My family was terrified. I had my dad printing warnings and such off the internet about Americans (especially Christians) traveling to Kyrg. It was his way of trying to help protect me. But, we had gotten our answer from the Lord, and He said, "GO!" I'll pray that you would have that peace very soon whatever the decision may be. Please keep us posted with what you can. Know that we will be praying for you.


  4. Oh frick. I think that I'm pretty sure I know which country you're talking about...have you asked about them escorting the child at all??

    Good luck with whatever happends...can't wait to find out more.

    PM me if you're willing to share more information. I maybe be able to find stuff out for you!


  5. Lori,
    I travelled to a country with major travel warnings, once where the airport was shutdown and in the middle of a war, and more than once and here I am. If God wants that child to be yours, he will protect and cover you and pave the way. Even if your husband is military!! 2 children? Go for it, it's crazy but you know what, oh so worth it for those who were dying to be a mom!

  6. God will make it very clear and will throw open the doors if this child is meant to be yours. Feel free to email me privately if you want to "talk" and share so I can offer more "advice" -- exactly what you want/need, eh??? God is bigger than the military, peace efforts and anything else that might stand in you way, but, you know that!! I'll pray that the decision becomes very clear!

  7. Wow!

    That is the first word that comes to my mind.

    The next two are:

    Carpe Diem.

  8. It sounds like a tough situation to put yourself in, especially the part about "no help from the U.S." I am well-traveled, but I would shy away from that one.