Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"You have to say please"

Words often said by adults to children, right? Yeah, not today! If it weren't for little pink loving KGB costing her mommy and daddy an arm and a leg (well worth it, though) I would have walked out and NEVER come back. After telling one of my students to get away from my table (he had been all over it since this morning when he spilled coffee on it) he got in my face and looked as if he was daring me to step back. Then, I again told him to get away from my table. He said, and I quote, "You have to say please."

Let me preface this with the fact that when I die, I want my impeccable manners to be noted on my epitaph. I am THAT teacher that tells my kids that I say yes, ma'am and no, ma'am and so will they. I'm willing to bet that 99% of the time, I add please to ALL requests (including don't throw that bag at me, please) and an EIGHT year old has the nerve to tell me that I have to say please? Dear Lord, what am I doing thinking about bringing a child up in an environment where this is acceptable???

In defense of those needing it, my AP said that I should have called for assistance immediately, but it was at the end of the day. This student's mother was WONDERFUL and said she would IMMEDIATELY discuss this issue with my student. Those things said, when did we become a society in which that behavior and language is even contemplated? I just don't know sometimes...what will I do for KGB and school? What will I do for me and school??? My little Physical Therapy guy said I needed a hobby and badly! Hmm...like I have time. But he's right...as I type, my neck muscles are spasming so much that I can hardly keep my neck up! Scrapbooking it will be. I am going to throw myself back into that. It is mindless and time consuming, can be done alone or with groups, and will be a reward to myself and my family for generations to come. John's going to love this!

Oh, and guess how much birth certificates and marriage licenses cost? LOTS, I tell you! LOTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment